Riding as a passenger on a motorcycle can be thrilling. However, it is not difficult for a passenger to make the ride unsafe, depending on his or her actions. Keep the following safety tips in mind when you are offered a ride.
- Wear proper clothing. Leather offers the best protection, but if you do not have it, denim or another sturdy material will do. This applies to both your pants and jacket. Wear sturdy footwear that protects your ankles, durable gloves and eye protection.
- Dress appropriately for the weather. Ask your rider for advice if you are unsure.
- Make sure the foot pegs are down before mounting the motorcycle.
- Mount from the left side, leaning far over the bike to keep it balanced, and step up, staying low over the seat. Keep your feet on the foot pegs.
- Watch out for hot exhaust pipes.
- Hold on to the rider’s hips.
- In a turn, the bike will lean, and you should lean along with your rider. The easiest way to do this is to look over the rider’s shoulder in the direction of the turn. In a right turn, look over the right shoulder. In a left turn, look over the left shoulder.
Following the above guidelines will allow the rider to navigate the road safely, avoiding motorcycle accidents, and will help ensure you are offered rides in the future.
The Metier Law Firm, LLC – Denver accident attorneys